1 1/2 cup raisins
1 1/2 cup all-purpose white flour
1 cup oat bran
1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 large egg whites
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup mashed bananas
--2 medium bananas
1/2 cup low-fat milk
1/4 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups grated carrots
--4 medium carrots
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly oil 18 muffin cups or coat with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a small bowl, cover raisins with hot water; let soak for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk flour, oat bran, wheat germ, cinnamon, allspice, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk egg whites until frothy. Add brown sugar and whisk until it has dissolved. Mix in bananas, milk, oil and vanilla.
5. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients; stir with a rubber spatula just to moisten the dry ingredients. Gently stir in carrots and the drained raisins.
6. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups and sprinkle with nuts. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the tops spring back when touched lightly. Cool on a wire rack.
Makes 1 1/2 dozen muffins.
210 calories per muffin: 5 grams protein, 5 grams fat (0.5 gram saturated fat). 40 grams carbohydrate; 140 mg sodium; 0 mg cholesterol; 3 grams fiber.
Busted by: Gail Shermeyer <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Contributor: Eating Well, October 1996
Yield: 18 servings
Preparation Time: 0:00