savory breads, yeast breads
1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
1 1/4 cups boiling water
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 packages active dry yeast
2 cups all-purpose flour
1. In a blender or food processor, grind cornmeal, in 1/4-cup batches, until fine and powdery.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine 1 cup ground cornmeal, boiling water, oil and salt; stir until smooth. Let cool to room temperature, about 20 minutes. Stir in yeast.
3. Stirring constantly, gradually add remaining 1/2 cup ground cornmeal and 1 cup flour. Continue adding flour until dough forms a soft mass and is too difficult to stir.
4. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let dough rise until doubled in bulk, about 30 minutes.
5. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead, gradually incorporating the remaining flour as necessary, until dough is smooth and elastic, 8 to 10 minutes.
6. Lightly oil a baking sheet or coat it with nonstick spray.
7. Form dough into a ball and flatten slightly. Place on prepared baking sheet. Loosely cover with plastic wrap or wax paper and let rise until doubled in bulk, 30 to 45 minutes.
8. Preheat oven to 350°F.
9. Bake loaf for 40 to 50 minutes, or until top is golden and bottom sounds hollow when tapped. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely before slicing.
MAKES 1 LOAF, FOR 20 SLICES.
85 calories per slice; 2 grams protein; 1 gram fat (0.2 gram saturated fat); 17 grams carbohydrate; 165 mg sodium; 0 mg cholesterol; 2 grams fiber.
Adapted from Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads (Simon 6 Schuster, 1987).
Busted by Gail Shermeyer <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Contributor: Eating Well, November 1997
Yield: 20 servings
Preparation Time: 0:00