cakes & frostings
1/2 cup walnuts
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 large eggs
1 large egg white
1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
15 ounces unseasoned pumpkin puree
1/3 cup fresh orange juice
1/4 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
2 tablespoons 1% milk
--or evaporated skim milk
2 teaspoons butter
TO MAKE CAKE:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly oil a 12-cup Bundt or tube pan or coat it with nonstick spray. Dust pan with flour, tilting to coat and tapping out the excess.
2. Spread walnuts in a shallow pan and bake until fragrant, about 5 minutes; let cool. Chop walnuts and set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, salt and spices.
4. In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, egg white and brown sugar. Beat with an electric mixer until fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes. Add pumpkin, orange juice, oil and vanilla; beat until smooth.
5. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Set aside 2 tablespoons walnuts for the glaze and fold the rest into the batter.
6. Scrape batter into prepared pan. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
TO MAKE GLAZE:
1. While cake is cooling in pan, in a small saucepan, combine brown sugar, milk and butter. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently, over medium heat. Cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in reserved 2 tablespoons walnuts.
2. Tum cake out onto rack; place rack over a baking sheet. Drizzle warm glaze over the top and sides of the cake. Transfer to a serving platter and spoon any glaze from the baking sheet over the cake. Let cool completely.
MAKES 16 SERVINGS.
245 calories per serving: 5 grams protein; 7 grams fat(1 gram saturated fat); 41 grams carbohydrate; 230 mg sodium; 28 mg cholesterol: 1 gram fiber.
Busted by Gail Shermeyer <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Contributor: Eating Well, November 1997
Yield: 16 servings
Preparation Time: 0:00