2 pounds black or red plums
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup amaretto
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup cake flour
5 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup almond paste
3/4 cup buttermilk; plus 1 tablespoon
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/3 cup sliced almonds
TO MAKE PLUM FILLING:
Pit plums and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices. In a saucepan, combine water, Amaretto and sugar. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Add plums, return to a simmer and cook until plums start to soften, 1 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
TO MAKE & ASSEMBLE SHORTCAKES:
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Lightly oil a baking sheet or coat it with nonstick spray.
2. In a mixing bowl, whisk all-purpose and cake flours, 3 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Using a pastry blender or your fingers, cut almond paste into dry ingredients until mixture resembles fine meal.
3. In a glass measuring cup, combine 3/4 cup buttermilk, oil and vanilla. Make a well in the dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients and stir with a fork until just combined. (Dough will be slightly sticky; do not overmix.)
4. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Gently pat into a 3/4-inch-thick circle. With a floured 3 or 3 1/2-inch cutter, cut out shortcakes and place on prepared baking sheet. Press dough scraps together and repeat to make 8 shortcakes.
5. In a small bowl, toss almonds with remaining 2 tablespoons sugar and remaining 1 tablespoon buttermilk. Lightly press mixture onto shortcakes.
6. Bake shortcakes for 10 to 12 minutes, or until light golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly.
7. To serve, split shortcakes in half with a serrated knife. Set bottoms on dessert plates. Spoon on plum filling and mascarpone cream. Set tops on at an angle. Serve immediately.
Makes 8 servings.
530 calories per serving; 6 grams protein; 9 grams fat (0.6 gram saturated fat); 73 grams carbohydrate; 4 grams alcohol; 365 mg sodium; 14 mg cholesterol; 4 grams fiber.
Busted by Gail Shermeyer <email@example.com>
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Contributor: Eating Well, July/August 1997
Yield: 8 servings
Preparation Time: 0:00