nonstick cooking spray
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 large egg; lightly beaten
2/3 cups packed brown sugar
1/2 cup apple butter
1/3 cup pure maple syrup; divided
--plus 1/4 to 1/3 cup
1/3 cup apple cider
1/3 cup nonfat plain yogurt
3 tablespoons canola oil
1 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat the molds of a mini-bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle with granulated sugar, shaking out excess.
2. In mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; set aside. In another bowl, whisk together egg, brown sugar, apple butter, 1/3 cup maple syrup, cider, yogurt and oil. Add dry ingredients and stir until just moistened. Divide half the batter among the prepared molds, spooning about 2 generous tablespoonfuls of batter into each mold.
3. Bake 10 to 12 minutes, until tops spring back when lightly touched. Loosen edges and turn cakes out onto wire rack to cool. Clean the mini-bundt pan, then recoat it with cooking spray or oil and sugar Repeat with remaining batter.
4. In bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Gradually whisk in the remaining 1/4 to 1/3 cup maple syrup to obtain a coating consistency. Dip fluted side of "doughnuts" in glaze to coat. Set glazed side up on a wire rack over waxed paper for a few minutes until glaze sets.
Note: Coating a mold or cake pan with sugar before adding the batter will give the outside of the cake an appealing crisp glaze. A mini-bundt pan produces doughnut-shaped cakes, but if you do not have one, you can use a regular bundt pan and make a coffee cake; bake it in a 375°F oven 25 to 30 minutes.
Makes 12 servings. Preparation time: 30 minutes. Baking time: 1 hour.
Per serving: About 291 cal, 3 g pro, 61 g car, 4 g fat, 12% cal from fat, 18 mg chol, 278 mg sod, 1 g fiber.
Busted by Gail Shermeyer <email@example.com>
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Contributor: Low-Fat Meals, Vol. VI, #3
Yield: 12 servings
Preparation Time: 0:00