3 egg whites
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract; divided
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 cup granulated sugar; divided
6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder; divided
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
1 cup skim milk
1 1/2 cups reduced-calorie nondairy whipped to; thawed
1/2 ounce chocolate; shaved
1. Preheat oven to 275°F.
2. In large bowl, with electric mixer at high speed, whip egg whites, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Slowly add 2/3 cup sugar, beating until thick and shiny; beat in 2 tablespoons cocoa.
3. Spread meringue into a l0-inch circle on parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake 1 1/2 hours. Turn off oven; leave meringue in oven to cool completely. Store in airtight container until ready to use.
4. In small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over water; let stand 1 minute. Over low heat, stir about 2 minutes, until gelatin dissolves.
5. In electric blender or food processor, blend milk, remaining 1/3 cup sugar, the remaining 1/4 cup cocoa and the remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla until well blended. With motor running, gradually add gelatin mixture, processing until blended. Pour into large bowl; stir in whipped topping. Chill until thick enough to hold a shape.
6. Spread cocoa mixture evenly onto prepared meringue shell. Chill 1 hour. To serve, garnish with shaved chocolate.
Per serving: About 161 calories, 4g protein, 32g carbohydrate, 2g fat, 13% calories from fat, 2mg cholesterol, 69mg sodium, 0g fiber.
Busted by Gail Shermeyer <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Contributor: Lose Weight & Stay Fit, Woman's Day V7#5
Yield: 8 servings
Preparation Time: 2:45