nonstick cooking spray
1/2 cup granulated sugar; plus
2 tablespoons granulated sugar; divided , (up to 3)
2 tablespoons cornstarch; divided
1 cup skim milk; divided
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice; or less
1 egg yolk; optional
5 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1. Spray a 5-cup soufflé dish or six 3-inch ramekins with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle inside with 2 to 3 tablespoons sugar; shake out excess.
2. Preheat oven to 400°F.
3. In a heavy saucepan, stir 1 tablespoon cornstarch and 1/4 cup milk into a smooth paste. Whisk in the remaining 3/4 cup milk, the lemon zest and 1/3 cup sugar. Bring to a boil, whisking steadily until mixture thickens.
4. In heavy saucepan, combine lemon juice with the remaining 1 tablespoon cornstarch; whisk to a smooth paste. Bring mixture to a boil; it should thicken. Whisk in lemon mixture and simmer until thick, about 1 minute. Remove the pan from heat and whisk in the egg yolk.
5. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar to soft peaks. Gradually add the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, continue beating until whites are firm and glossy but not dry. Whisk 1/4 of the whites into the hot lemon mixture to lighten it. Fold this mixture into the remaining whites, working as gently as possible.
6. Spoon the mixture into the soufflé dish or ramekins; smooth the top with a wet spatula. The soufflé can be made up to 2 hours ahead of time and kept at room temperature until ready to bake.
7. Bake soufflé until dramatically puffed and mostly set, about 8 to 12 minutes for small soufflés, 15 to 20 minutes for large. Co not open the oven door during the first 7 minutes of baking.
Makes 6 servings. Preparation time: About 35 minutes. Baking time: About 8 to 20 minutes.
Per serving: About 129 cal, 4 g pro, 27 g car, 0 g fat, 1 % cal from fat, 1 mg cholesterol, 78 mg sod, 0 g fiber.
Reprinted with permission from Steven Raichlen's "High-Flavor Low-Fat Vegetarian Cooking" (Viking, 1995).
Busted by Gail Shermeyer <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Contributor: Low-Fat Meals, Woman's Day, 4/96
Yield: 6 servings
Preparation Time: 0:00