2 cups fresh raspberries
2 cups fresh blackberries
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons fiamboise or kirsch
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup cake flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar; plus 1 tablespoon
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup reduced-fat cream cheese
3/4 cup buttermilk; plus 2 tablespoons
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
TO MAKE BERRY FILLING:
In a bowl, combine raspberries, blackberries, sugar and framboise (or kirsch). Let stand at room temperature, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
TO MAKE & ASSEMBLE SHORTCAKES:
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Lightly oil a baking sheet or coat it with nonstick spray.
2. In a mixing bowl, whisk all-purpose and cake flours, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt, Using a pastry blender or your fingers, cut cream cheese into dry ingredients until mixture resembles coarse meal.
3. In a glass measuring cup, combine 3/4 cup buttermilk, oil and vanilla. Make a well in the dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients and stir with a fork until just combined. (Dough will be slightly sticky; do not overmix,)
4. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Gently pat into a 3/4-inch-thick circle. With a floured 3- or 3 1/2-inch cutter, cut out shortcakes and place on prepared baking sheet. Press dough scraps together and repeat to make 8 shortcakes.
5. Brush shortcake tops with remaining 2 tablespoons buttermilk and sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar.
6, Bake shortcakes for 10 to 12 minutes, or until light golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly.
7. To serve, split shortcakes in half with a serrated knife. Set bottoms on dessert plates. Spoon on berry filling and vanilla sauce. Set tops on at an angle. Serve immediately.
Makes 8 servings.
330 calories per serving; 8 grams protein; 6 grams fat (1.9 grams saturated fat); 61 grams carbohydrate; 430 mg sodium; 60 mg cholesterol; 4 grams fiber.
Busted by Gail Shermeyer <email@example.com>
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Contributor: Eating Well, July/August 1997
Yield: 8 servings
Preparation Time: 0:00