main dishes, beef, casseroles, ground meats
1 onion; peeled
--and cut into chunks
2 stalks celery
--cut into chunks
2 green bell peppers; seeded
--and cut into chunks
1/4 cup bulgur
1/3 pound lean ground beef
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
14 1/2 ounces reduced sodium beef broth; defatted
1/2 cup prepared barbecue sauce
1/2 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
salt & freshly ground pepper; to taste
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons canola oil
TO MAKE FILLING:
1. In a food processor, pulse onion, celery and bell peppers until finely chopped. Set aside.
2. In a large dry skillet, toast bulgur over medium heat, stirring often, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
3. Add beef to skillet and cook over medium heat, breaking up clumps with a fork, until browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a colander to drain.
4. Dry skillet with a paper towel; add oil and heat over medium heat. Add reserved vegetables and cook, stirring, until they start to brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Add flour and stir for 1 minute. Add broth, barbecue sauce, Worcestershire sauce and reserved beef and bulgur. Cook, stirring, until thickened, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and set aside. (The filling will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Reheat before continuing.)
TO MAKE CRUST & BAKE PIE:
1. Preheat oven to 450°F.
2. In a mixing bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, celery seed and parsley.
3. In a glass measuring cup, combine buttermilk and oil. Make a well in the dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients and stir with a fork until just combined.
4. Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead gently 7 to 8 times. With a floured rolling pin, roll into an 8-inch circle. Flour a fluted pastry wheel or a knife and cut dough into 6 triangles.
5. Spoon reserved filling into an ungreased 9 1/2-inch deep-dish pie pan. Arrange biscuits evenly over filling. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, or until bubbling. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
MAKES 6 SERVINGS.
270 calories per serving; 10 grams protein; 12 grams fat (2.9 grams saturated fat); 30 grams carbohydrate; 750 mg sodium; 19 mg cholesterol; 3 grams fiber.
Busted by Gail Shermeyer <email@example.com>
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Contributor: Eating Well, October 1997
Yield: 6 servings
Preparation Time: 0:00