main dishes, beef, bbq & grilling
6 scallions; trimmed
--cut into 2 1/2-inch-long julienne
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon minced jalapeno pepper
1 tablespoon crushed coriander seeds
1 tablespoon crushed black peppercorns
1 tablespoon crushed white peppercorns
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 pound beef tenderloin; trimmed
--about 3 inches thick
TO MAKE MARINATED SCALLIONS:
In a small bowl, combine scallions, lime juice, soy sauce and jalapeno. Set aside.
TO MAKE SPICED BEEF:
1. Prepare a grill for two-level cooking
2. In a small bowl, combine coriander, black and white peppercorns, ginger, cilantro, oil, salt and crushed red pepper. Press spice mixture into beef, coating all sides.
3. When grill is hot, sear beef over hot side of grill until browned on all sides, about 12 minutes. Move to cooler side of grill and cook to desired doneness, turning occasionally: about 5 minutes for rare, 8 minutes for medium-rare, 10 minutes for medium.
4. Transfer beef to a cutting board, tent with aluminum foil and let rest for 10 minutes. Thinly slice across the grain. Serve, passing reserved scallions separately.
Makes 4 servings.
255 calories per serving; 24 grams protein; 159 fat (4.8 grams saturated fat); 5 grams carbohydrate; 675 mg sodium; 72 mg cholesterol; 1 gram fiber.
Busted by Gail Shermeyer <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Contributor: Eating Well, July/August 1997
Yield: 4 servings
Preparation Time: 0:00