italian, cheese, casseroles, pastanoodle
1/2 cup fine dry breadcrumbs
2 small zucchini
1 medium eggplant boutl pound
1 green or red bell pepper
1 medium onion
1 stalk celery
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 clove garlic; minced
1/4 cup dry white wine
28 ounces plum tomatoes; drained
--and coarsely chopped
salt & freshly ground black pepper; to taste
1 pound dried penne rigate
1 1/2 cups coarsely grated part-skim mozzarell
2 large eggs; lightly beaten
2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly oil a 3-quart baking dish or coat it with nonstick spray. Coat the dish with 1/4 cup breadcrumbs, tapping out the excess.
2. Cut zucchini, eggplant, bell pepper, onion and celery into 1/2-inch dice. Put a pot of water on to boil for cooking pasta.
3. In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add diced vegetables; saute until tender, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more. Add wine and stir until almost evaporated, about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and juice. Bring to a simmer and cook until thickened, 10 to 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool to room temperature.
4. Meanwhile, cook penne (or rigatoni) in boiling salted water until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and rinse well. Toss pasta with vegetable mixture and mix in mozzarella. (The pasta mixture will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.)
5. Spoon pasta mixture into prepared baking dish and drizzle eggs evenly over the top. In a small bowl, combine remaining 1/4 cup breadcrumbs and Parmesan. Sprinkle evenly over pasta.
6. Bake pasta for 40 to 50 minutes, or until golden and bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
MAKES 8 SERVINGS.
390 calories per serving; 17 grams protein; 8 grams fat (3.2 grams saturated fat); 59 grams carbohydrate; 350 mg sodium: 66 mg cholesterol; 3 grams fiber.
Italian Name: Pasticcio di Penne in Cianfotta
Busted by Gail Shermeyer <email@example.com>
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Contributor: Eating Well, November 1997
Yield: 8 servings
Preparation Time: 0:00