main dishes, pastanoodle, bbq & grilling, game birds
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon anise seeds
1/3 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3/4 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1/3 cup plain low-fat yogurt
3 cups duckling breasts
--cut into 1-inch pieces
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onions
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 cups fat-free chicken broth
1 cup chopped carrots
3/4 cup chickpeas; drained
1/4 cup raisins
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon crushed red chilies
3/4 cup chopped zucchini
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper; freshly ground
2 teaspoons parsley; chopped
1 cup couscous
1 1/2 cups fat-free chicken broth
1. For the marinade: In small skillet, over low heat, place cumin and anise seeds. Warm seeds, shaking pan constantly, about 3 minutes, or until seeds are fragrant and toasted. Grind in spice mill.
2. Combine cumin, anise, onion, garlic, lemon juice, cayenne pepper and ginger with yogurt. Place duckling pieces in marinade; cover and refrigerate overnight. Place 8 bamboo skewers to soak in a container of water.
3. For the vegetables: In large skillet, over low heat, heat oil. Sauté onions and garlic. When onions are translucent, add broth, carrots, chickpeas, raisins, cinnamon, cumin and red chilies. Simmer for 15 minutes, or until carrots are cooked. Add zucchini and bell pepper. Simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat; add lemon juice. Keep warm.
4. For the duckling: Prepare grill according to manufacturer's instructions. Remove duckling from marinade; discard leftover marinade. Divide pieces evenly among 8 skewers (leave space between pieces). Season with salt and pepper. Grill for about 10 minutes, turning frequently, until desired doneness has been reached.
5. For the couscous: Prepare couscous following package directions, substituting chicken broth for water and omitting butter or margarine and salt.
6. For each portion: Mound 1 cup couscous in center of plate. Place vegetables and vegetable cooking liquid around couscous. Place two duckling skewers on top of couscous. Garnish with chopped parsley; serve immediately.
Per serving: About 544 calories, 51g protein, 57g carbohydrates, 15g fat, 24% calories from fat, 132mg cholesterol, 743mg sodium, 11g fiber.
Busted by Gail Shermeyer <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Contributor: Lose Weight & Stay Fit, Woman's Day V7#5
Yield: 4 servings
Preparation Time: 1:15