1/4 cup canola oil
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons 1% milk; up to 5
1 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
4 large egg whites
15 ounces unseasoned pumpkin puree
1 cup evaporated skim milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
TO MAKE CRUST:
1. In a small bowl, stir oil and 1/4 cup flour until smooth; cover and chill in the freezer until partially frozen, about 40 minutes.
2. In a mixing bowl, whisk remaining 1 cup flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut chilled oil-flour paste into dry ingredients until crumbly. With a fork, stir in milk just until a soft dough forms. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead 7 or 8 times. Press into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate while preparing filling.
TO MAKE FILLING & BAKE PIE:
1. Position rack in lower third of oven; preheat to 425°F. Lightly oil a 9-inch pie pan or coat it with nonstick spray.
2. In a large bowl, whisk sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Add eggs and egg whites and whisk until well blended. Add pumpkin, whisking until smooth. Whisk in milk and vanilla.
3. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough into an 11-inch circle. Drape dough over rolling pin and fit it into prepared pie pan. Fold edges under and crimp. Place pie on a baking sheet.
4. Pour filling into crust and bake for 10 minutes. Cover edges with strips of aluminum foil to prevent overbrowning.
5. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F; bake for 55 to 60 minutes more, or until center barely jiggles when the pan is tapped. Transfer to a wire rack. Let cool. If not serving within an hour, loosely cover and refrigerate.
MAKES 8 SERVINGS.
305 calories per serving: 9 grams protein. 9 grams fat(1.1 grams saturated fat). 49 grams carbohydrate; 395 mg sodium; 55 mg cholesterol: 2 grams fiber.
Busted by Gail Shermeyer <email@example.com>
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Contributor: Eating Well, November 1997
Yield: 8 servings
Preparation Time: 0:00