--7 1/2 ounces
2 tablespoons raisins
1 tablespoon canola oil
6 tablespoons water
yellow food coloring; optional
1 1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
2 large eggs
1/4 cup granulated sugar; plus 2/3 cup
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
3 large egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 cup whipping cream
candied lemon zest
TO MAKE CRUST:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly oil a 9-inch pie pan or coat it with nonstick spray.
2. In a food processor, pulse gingersnaps and raisins until finely chopped. Add oil and process until well combined. Press evenly over bottom and sides of prepared pan.
3. Bake crust for 10 minutes, or until set. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
TO MAKE FILLING:
1. In a small bowl, place 3 tablespoons water and about 3 drops food coloring, if using. Sprinkle gelatin over water. Set aside.
2. In a wide pan, bring about 1 inch of water to a simmer. Adjust heat so water is at a bare simmer. In a large heatproof mixing bowl that can sit on the pan, combine whole eggs, 1/4 cup sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest. Set the bowl over the pan and whisk constantly until mixture thickens and an instant-read thermometer registers 160°F. Whisk in reserved gelatin mixture. Remove from heat and let cool for 20 minutes, whisking occasionally.
3. In another heatproof bowl that can sit on the pan, combine egg whites, cream of tartar, the remaining 2/3 cup sugar and the remaining 3 tablespoons water. Set the bowl over the pan; beat with an electric mixer at low speed until an instant-read thermometer registers 140°F, 3 to 5 minutes.
4. Increase mixer speed to high and beat for a full 3 1/2 minutes. Remove from heat and beat until almost cool, about 2 minutes more.
5. In a chilled bowl, whip cream until soft peaks form.
6. Whisk about one-fourth of the meringue into the lemon mixture. Gently whisk in remaining meringue. With a rubber spatula, fold in cream. Spoon into prepared pie shell and chill, loosely covered, until set, about 3 hours. (The pie will keep, covrerd, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.)
7. Just before serving, decorate pie with Candled Lemon Zest.
MAKES 8 SERVINGS.
305 calories per serving; 6 grams protein; 10 grams fat (3.1 grams saturated fat); 51 grams carbohydrate; 145 mg sodium; 62 mg cholesterol; 0 grams fiber.
Busted by Gail Shermeyer <email@example.com>
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Contributor: Eating Well, November 1997
Yield: 8 servings
Preparation Time: 0:00