main dishes, chicken
1 cup basmati rice
3 teaspoons vegetable oil
6 skinless chicken thighs
2 cups finely chopped onions
--about 3 medium onions
5 cloves garlic; minced
2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
2 tablespoons curry powder
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
--or to taste
2 cups defatted reduced-sodium chicken bro
15 ounces chickpeas; drained and rinsed
--1 1/2 cups
14 ounces diced tomatoes; drained
2 cups frozen peas; thawed
salt & freshly ground black pepper; to taste
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro; optional
lime wedges; for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Soak rice in cold water for 20 minutes. Drain.
2. Meanwhile, heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until browned on all sides, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
3. Reduce the heat to low, add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and heat until hot. Add onions and cook, stirring, until light golden, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in garlic, ginger, curry powder, coriander and ground red pepper; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
4. Increase the heat to medium-high; stir in chicken broth, chickpeas, tomatoes and the soaked and drained rice; bring to a simmer. Nestle the browned chicken pieces in the rice. Cover and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the rice is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
5. Remove the chicken pieces and stir peas into the rice. Season with salt and pepper. Set the chicken back on the rice, and sprinkle with cilantro, if using. Serve with lime wedges.
Makes about 8 cups, for 6 servings.
400 calories per serving: 23 grams protein, 10 grams fat(2.1 grams saturated fat), 54 grams carbohydrate; 695 mg sodium; 46 mg cholesterol; 8 grams fiber.
Busted by: Gail Shermeyer <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Contributor: Eating Well, October 1996
Yield: 6 servings
Preparation Time: 0:00