8 slices round crusty bread
--1 ounce each slice
3 garlic cloves
--peeled and halved
1 zucchini; cut lengthwise
--in 1/4-inch-thick strips
1 large spanish onion; cut
--in 1/4-inch-thick rings
1/2 pound large mushrooms; stemmed
5 tablespoons balsamic vineger; divided
1 teaspoon anchovy paste; optional
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 bell peppers; halved and seeded
--of mixed colors
2 bunches arugula or watercress; washed and dried
1. Preheat broiler, or prepare grill according to manufacturer's instructions. Rub the bread with the cut sides of the garlic; reserve the garlic. Place bread on the broiler or grill rack; broil or grill 6 inches from the heat for 1 minute per side, or until lightly browned and crisp. Set aside. Leave broiler or grill on.
2. Rub a large bowl with the cut sides of the reserved garlic; discard garlic. Add zucchini, onion and mushrooms to the bowl, sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of the vinegar; toss to coat. Place zucchini, onion and mushrooms on the broiler or grill rack; broil or grill for 10 minutes, turning frequently, or until vegetables are lightly browned and crisp-tender. Rinse and dry the bowl.
3. In the same bowl, whisk together the remaining 3 tablespoons vinegar, the anchovy paste, oil, mustard, sugar, salt and black pepper. Add zucchini, onion and mushrooms; toss to coat.
4. Place pepper halves, cut-sides down, on broiler or grill rack and broil or grill for 10 minutes, or until the skin is charred. Transfer peppers to a small bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let stand 5 minutes. Transfer the peppers to a cutting board, remove the skin and cut in 1-inch wide strips. Add pepper strips to the zucchini miuture and toss to combine. Add arugula and toss again. Divide the salad and toasted bread among four plates and serve.
Per serving: About 258 cal, 10 g pro, 44 g car, 6 g fat, 20% cal from fat, 0 mg chol, 543 mg sod, 4 g fiber.
Busted by Gail Shermeyer <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Contributor: Womans Day Low-Fat Meals, Summer 97
Yield: 4 servings
Preparation Time: 0:00