first course, soups & stews
1/3 cup blanched almonds
3 large whol heads garlic; plus
2 large garlic cloves
--crushed and peeled
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 large onion; finely chopped
1 pound all-purpose potatoes
--preferably yukon gold
--peeled and diced
6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth; defatted
salt & freshly ground black pepper; to taste
1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Spread almonds on a baking sheet and bake for 3 to 5 minutes, or until fragrant. Set aside.
3. Pull papery husks off garlic heads. Slice the tip off each head to expose cloves. Place on a square of aluminum foil and sprinkle with water. Pinch edges of foil together. Roast for 30 to 45 minutes, or until very tender. Let cool. Squeeze garlic flesh from skins; set aside.
4. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven or soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add crushed garlic cloves and potatoes; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes more.
5. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, 20 to 30 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
6. Strain soup into a bowl; transfer solids to a food processor or blender and puree until smooth, adding a little broth if necessary. Return puree and broth to pot. Whisk to combine.
7. In a blender or mini food processor, puree reserved roasted garlic and almonds until smooth. (Add a little soup if necessary.) Add puree to soup.
8. Bring soup to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle into warmed soup bowls. Garnish with a dollop of yogurt and a sprinkling of cilantro. Serve immediately.
MAKES ABOUT 7 CUPS, FOR 6 FIRST-COURSE SERVINGS.
210 calories per serving; 7 grams protein; 6 grams fat (0.7 gram saturated fat); 30 grams carbohydrate; 585 mg sodium; 5 mg cholesterol; 2 grams fiber.
Busted by Gail Shermeyer <email@example.com>
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Contributor: Eating Well, October 1997
Yield: 6 servings
Preparation Time: 0:00