side dishes, casseroles, potatoes
1 1/2 pounds russet potatoes; peeled
--cut into 2-inch chunks
6 cups shredded green cabbage
--1 small head
4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese; softened
--cut into pieces
1 teaspoon salt
--plus more to taste
1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions
freshly ground black pepper; to taste
1 cup grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Lightly oil a 3-quart baking dish.
2 Place potatoes in a large heavy pot. Add salted water to cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook until tender, 10 to 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, drop cabbage into a pot of boiling salted water and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 6 minutes. Drain and set aside.
4. Drain potatoes and return to pot. Place over low heat and shake, uncovered, for about 30 seconds to evaporate excess moisture.
5. Remove from heat and mash potatoes with an electric mixer or a potato masher. Add cream cheese and 1 teaspoon salt. Mash until smooth. Fold in scallions and reserved cabbage. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Spread mixture into prepared baking dish and top with cheese. (The casserole will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.)
6. Bake casserole, uncovered, for 30 to 50 minutes, or until golden. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
MAKES ABCUT 8 CUPS, FOR 12 SERVINGS.
120 calories per serving; 5 grams protein; 5 grams fat (3 grams saturated fat); 15 grams carbohydrate; 300 mg sodium; 13 mg cholesterol; 2 grams fiber.
Busted by Gail Shermeyer <email@example.com>
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Contributor: Eating Well, November 1997
Yield: 12 servings
Preparation Time: 0:00