side dishes, potatoes
1 1/2 pound small new red potatoes; unpeeled
--12 to 16 potatoes
3 tablespoons olive oil; divided
1 small yellow onion; finely chopped
1 eggplant; peeled
--and cut in 1/8-inch dice
--1 1/2 to 2 pounds
2 red bell peppers; seeded
--cut in 1/8-inch dice
2 pounds plum tomatoes; peeled and seeded
2 garlic cloves; minced
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 475°F. Place the potatoes on a baking sheet in the middle of the oven. Bake 45 to 50 minutes, until tender and slightly crisp; test with a knife or skewer. Remove and let cool. Leave the oven set at 475°F.
2. Meanwhile, make the filling: In large frying pan over medium heat, warm remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add onion and saute, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes, or until translucent. Add eggplant and cook 5 to 7 minutes, stirring, until it begins to soften. Add bell pepper and cook, stirring, 5 minutes longer. Add tomatoes, garlic, basil and vinegar, and continue cooking 5 to 10 minutes longer, or until the liquid evaporates and eggplant is soft. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
3. Cut each potato in half crosswise. If bottoms are uneven, cut off a thin slice so they will stand upright once filled. Scoop out most of the pulp from each half, leaving only a thin shell; reserve inner pulp for another use. Return the potato shells to the baking sheet, hollow sides down, and brush the skins with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Bake 10 to 15 minutes, until crisp. Remove from oven and reduce the oven temperature to 425°F.
4. Sprinkle the insides of the potato shells with some of the Parmesan cheese. Spoon in the filling and place on an ungreased baking sheet. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake 10 to 15 minutes, or until heated through. Serve immediately.
Per side-dish serving: About 222 cal, 6 g pro, 33 g car, 9 g fat, 33% cal from fat, 3 mg chol, 533 mg sod, 6 g fiber
Busted by Gail Shermeyer <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Contributor: Womans Day Low-Fat Meals, Summer 97
Yield: 6 servings
Preparation Time: 0:00