2 teaspoons canola oil
1 large onion; finely chopped
4 stalks celery; chopped
4 jalapeno peppers; seeded and minced
1/2 pound white mushrooms; coarsely chopped
1 loaf yeast-risen cornbread
--crumbled and dried
2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
--or 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth; defatted
salt & freshly ground black pepper; to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly oil a 3-quart baking dish or coat it with nonstick spray.
2. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, celery and jalapenos; cook, stirring, until tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid evaporates, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool.
3. Add cornbread crumbs, poultry seasoning and sage. Toss to combine. Gradually stir in chicken broth. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to prepared dish. (The dressing will keep, covered, in the refrigeratorfor up to 2 days.)
4. Cover dressing with aluminum foil. Bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for 10 minutes more, or until heated through and golden on top.
MAKES ABOUT 9 CUPS, FOR 12 SERVINGS.
170 calories per serving; 5 grams protein; 3 grams fat (0.3 gram saturated fat); 32 grams carbohydrate; 355 mg sodium; 1 mg cholesterol; 4 grams fiber.
Busted by Gail Shermeyer <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Contributor: Eating Well, November 1997
Yield: 12 servings
Preparation Time: 0:00