4 sun-dried tomatoes
nonstick cooking spray
--preferably olive oil flavored
12 green onions; finely chopped
1/2 red bell pepper; finely chopped
6 cloves garlic; thinly sliced
30 ounces chickpeas; rinsed and drained
2 egg whites
2 cloves garlic; minced
1 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
salt; to taste
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/3 cup unseasoned dry bread crumbs
1/4 cup finely chopped fennel bulb
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup pitted green olives; finely chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
--or vegetable oil
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
red pepper flakes; to taste
salt and pepper; to taste
6 hamburger buns; toasted
2 ounces goat cheese; sliced or crumbled
1. In small bowl, place sun-dried tomatoes; add boiling water to cover. Let stand until tomatoes are soft, about 3 minutes; drain and chop.
2. Coat medium skillet with cooking spray; place over medium heat until hot. Saute green onions, bell pepper and garlic about 5 minutes, until tender. Add chickpeas; cook over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes, until mixture is dry.
3. In food processor or blender, pulse tomatoes, chickpea mixture, egg whites, garlic, thyme and basil until almost smooth. Mix in salt to taste, black pepper, cayenne pepper and enough bread crumbs to make a firm mixture. Form into 6 burgers.
4. Coat large skillet with cooking spray; place over medium heat until hot. Saute burgers about 5 minutes on each side, until browned. Spoon about 3 tablespoons Fennel-Olive Relish on bottom of each bun; top each with a burger. Top burgers with goat cheese and bun tops. Per serving: About 531 cal, 26g pro, 103g car, 12g fat, 18% cal from fat, 10mg chol, 1,708 mg sod, 19g fiber.
Mix all ingredients; refrigerate several hours for flavors to blend.
Note: If fresh fennel is not available, 1/4 cup finely chopped clery and 1/2 teaspoon crushed fennel seed can be substituted.
Makes 3/4 cup relish.
Busted by Gail Shermeyer <email@example.com>
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Contributor: Womans Day Low-Fat Meals, Summer 97
Yield: 6 servings
Preparation Time: 0:00